Rodents are a big problem all over Snohomish County to include Everett, Lynnwood, Mukilteo, Edmonds and a handful of others. Norway Rats, roof rats, and house mice can cause damage to structures, spread diseases, contaminate food and are known to be the leading cause of electrical fires. In order to safeguard your home or business, it’s crucial to understand the types of rodents that are found here in the Pacific Northwest and the methods to best control them.
Types of Rodents In and Around Everett
There are several types of rodents that are commonly found in the Everett area:
- Norway rats: These are also known as brown rats or sewer rats. They are large and robust and are often found near sources of food and water. Norway rats burrow and tend to nest in subterranean areas, crawl spaces, rock walls, and in overgrown ground cover.
- Roof rats: Also known as black rats, are smaller and more agile than Norway rats. They will most often be found in attics, trees, and high places.
- House mice: These are small and common rodents that are found in many homes and businesses. They are known to chew on wiring and spread diseases. House mice can be extremely difficult to control as they only require a very small opening to gain access to a structure. The Deer Mouse is most commonly known to spread hantavirus.
Understanding Rodent Behavior and Habits
Rodents are known for their ability to gnaw through almost anything, including wood, plastic, and even electrical wiring. This can cause damage to structures and increase the risk of fire. Rodents are also known to carry diseases (hantavirus, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), Tularemia and Salmonella) that can be harmful to people and pets, so it’s important to take steps to control their populations. Caution should be used when cleaning droppings and nesting materials as some of these diseases can quickly and easily become airborne.
Rodents are often attracted to sources of food and water, such as garbage cans, pet food, plumbing leaks, and bird feeders. They are also attracted to dark and secluded areas, such as basements, attics, and crawl spaces that are safe places to nest.
Methods of Rodent Control
There are several methods of controlling rodent populations in the Everett area including:
- Exclusion: This involves sealing up entry points to buildings, such as gaps around windows, doors, and pipes. This makes it difficult for rodents to enter and can help prevent infestations. Exclusion is often the key to eliminating a rodent infestation. Without properly sealing a structure rats and mice can always re-infest.
- Trapping: Traps can be used to capture and remove individual rodents. Trapping should always be done in conjunction with exclusion, as it helps to remove an existing infestation and ensures that new infestations don’t take hold.
- Baiting: Rodent baits are a popular and effective method used to control rats and mice. Baits are placed in secured and labeled bait stations in areas where rodents are known to travel. It’s important to note that your professional pest control technician will know which types of bait is appropriate to use for the situation.
- Repellents: Repellents can be used to discourage rodents from entering a given area. These products often use natural or synthetic scents to deter rats and mice. Repellents are not an effective long-term solution.
- Habitat Manipulation: Making the environment around a structure inhospitable will deter rats, mice, and other pest from attempting to infest. This method is highly effective and should always be considered when putting together a plan for control.
It’s important to note that different methods may be more effective for different types of rodents and different situations. For example, exclusion may be more effective for preventing roof rats, while baits may be more effective for controlling Norway rats. Your pest professional will likely use a combination of these methods when building a tailored solution to the unique needs of your Everett home or business.
Why Professional Pest Control is Important
While there are many DIY methods of controlling rats and mice, it’s often best to work with a professional pest control company. Professional exterminators have the experience, training, and equipment needed to effectively control rodent populations. They can also help you identify the source of the problem and recommend the best methods of control for your situation.
Professional pest control companies also have access to a wider range of products and methods of control, which can help to ensure that the problem is effectively addressed. For example, they may use specialized traps, baits, or repellents that are not available to the general public.
In addition, working with a professional exterminator can help to ensure that any chemicals used are applied safely and in accordance with local regulations. Protecting the health of your family, pets, and the environment should always be top of mind when implementing an integrated pest management solution.
Sentinel Pest Control is here to be your go-to for any and all questions regarding pests. We are happy to help with your DIY pest solution project or provide you with professional services as needed.